OUT OF HIBERNATION: Many apologies to everyone I blew off this weekend (Mom, Megan, Tina, et al) so I could lay on the couch, sleep and generally be a sloth. I feel so much better now. I left the house briefly on Saturday evening to take Mal to her birthday dinner and then came right back home. I watched films and finished the second season of Twin Peaks, which still scares the shit out of me all these years later. I had forgotten much of what happened in the final episodes, and it's sad that the series wasn't given at least one more season to wrap up the various plots. Watching the bonus interviews, it was obvious that time has not been kind to some of the cast members. Of course, Laura Palmer does tell Agent Cooper she'll see him again in 25 years. Maybe David Lynch could give us a film to tie up the threads. Please, Mr. Lynch...pretty please?!

Tomorrow is release day for Don DeLillo's new novel, Falling Man, which is getting fantastic reviews. I am a DeLillo fanatic. Underworld sits at the top of my favorite books of the 20th Century. In this new book, DeLillo finally tackles Sept. 11 head on. I'm practically vibrating at the thought of having Falling Man in my hands tomorrow.

This afternoon, Kodac Harrison and I went over to the new Wordsmiths Bookshop in downtown Decatur. The store will open mid-June and I am also vibrating over that. It's an indie shop and will be located in the city's 1930s-era post office. The building is an architectural gem and while the shop is still under construction, it gave me the same vibe as dearly-departed Oxford Books, which was my weekend hangout for most of the 1990s. For those who live outside Atlanta, Oxford Books was our answer to The Strand in New York or Foyle's in London. It was a big, rambling place where you could spend an entire day. When it closed in the late 90s, I wept. I digress...

Anyway, Kodac and I went to the shop as ambassadors for Poetry Atlanta, which will host a poetry reading during the grand opening of Wordsmiths on June 16. PA will also organize a quarterly reading at the store, featuring both Atlanta and out-of-town poets. We'll be posting up dates soon at the PA site and I'll put them here. If any poets are thinking of coming to Atlanta for a reading, this new series might be for you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ive added Twin Peaks to my Netflix list. Its at the bottom so it might be awhile.

GAV
Good to hear you're feeling better!
Unknown said…
i read a not so hot review of falling man by adam kirsch recently (the sun). but im still buyinh it. dellilo rocks!
Unknown said…
ps pardon my typos, my dogs asleep on my arm and its hard to type.
Collin Kelley said…
I'm buying it today. DeLillo at his worst is still better than just about anybody. :)
Kate Evans said…
I read WHITE NOISE when I was living in Japan--I still remember the haunting ambiance of that book filling up my little studio apartment.

Popular Posts