Mid-Week Notes

There's been such a flurry of activity at my desk, I realized this morning that I'd left a number of loose ends. Let's roll back the clock to last Thursday and the premiere of Poetry Atlanta's DVD anthology, Trouble and Hope. There were around 60 people in attendance at the Decatur Library for a screening of the film, which includes Jon Goode, Natasha Trethewey, Alice Lovelace, Beth Gylys, Sharan Strange, Opal Moore, Mike Dockins and many more. Hats off to Bill Starr and Joe Davich at Georgia Center for the Book for being Poetry Atlanta's partner in this event. You can now purchase the DVD for $15 (+ $2 shipping) at Poetry Atlanta. If you're in Atlanta you can purchase a copy at Decatur CD, Charis Books & More in Little Five Points and Java Monkey Coffee House in Decatur. More retail outlets will be added soon. If you're on Twitter, you can also follow Poetry Atlanta at www.twitter.com/PoetryAtlanta.

I have more than 1,000 followers on Twitter now, and I'm trying to be more pro-active by tweeting on a daily basis. I decided it was time to embed my Twitter posts on Modern Confessional, so you can see them in the sidebar. Speaking of Twitter, my print edition of OCHO #24 featuring Twitter Poets (which I guest edited with Didi Menendez) arrived in the mail today from Amazon. It's a very cool, perfect bound paperback, and at only $9.99, it's a bargain. You can order your copy at this link.

Also in the mail today: the Criterion editions of The Seventh Seal and Last Year at Marienbad. Two of my all-time favorite films in glorious new DVD sets. I'll have mini-reviews up at the weekend.

This afternoon, I had a "ladies who lunch" date at the Universal Joint in Decatur with the fab Laurel Snyder, Megan Volpert, Jessica Hand and her wife, Jeana. Lots of chips, salsa and big, juicy burgers were consumed, while Laurel regaled us with the story of her father being struck by lightning in a church and Jessica almost falling out of an airplane while skydiving. Laurel has a new young adult novel out from Random House called Any Which Wall. It's about a group of kids who find a magic wall that can take them anywhere in time. Great for all ages.

Comments

christine said…
Your lunch sounds great, as does the company.

I should have told you I received my OCHO#24 too, very nice. I took it to the beach with me, but didn't get a chance to read everything. More reading tonight.

The video is a must-see. All the poets you've introduced me to or else you've mentioned here on your blog.
Hi Coll. Wowsers. What great friends to be surrounded by! Hugs to all of you!! ;)
The childrens' book sounds great. I wanna get a copy for my artist cousin, Jayne's kids!

word verification:
inceight

Popular Posts